About my preferred reading lists on this site


 (I usually don't list book introductions, glossaries, maps, etc; consult them as you wish; though I do mention some important ones you might otherwise miss. Also, I don't want to re-read the textual notes, and I don't recommend anyone read them at all unless they're interested in that sort of thing, unless I mention them as helpful.)
(I have numbered my own – not Tolkien's – "chapters" consecutively rather than separately within each section so I don't get mixed up. Page numbers are just for the editions I own.)


ORDER (though few have all the components)
all in chronological, including dates given if possible (with the caveat that Tolkien has a couple different dating systems)
a. the best telling of the at least somewhat accepted story as it has come to us,
b. further fascinating facts to do with that story,
c. any very interesting retelling(s) (be aware that some – especially The Book of Lost Tales' 2 volumes – can differ a lot, but they are really fun anyway; but if you're afraid you'll get too mixed up read them for themselves separately all the way through),
d. any happy or otherwise interesting future stuff usually not covered above,
e. and any interesting notes re evolution of the above (I include only a few of Christopher Tolkien's notes because though valuable I'm rarely super interested in them)